“The American press was made free not just to inform or just to serve as a forum for debate but also to bring an independent scrutiny to bear on the forces of power in the society, including the conduct of official power at all levels of government.”
American Society of Newspaper Editors
Code of conduct
As news and information migrate from the printed page to the Internet, we believe it is important that standards of conduct are not left behind. While it is important for news sites to be aggressive in news-gathering and business practices, it is equally important for them to practice restraint. This balance is to assure our readers that we have taken care to present a fair, accurate and balanced report — that we respect and take seriously our readers and our community.
In that regard, Rio Grande Digital promises the following:
- We will make every effort to avoid factual errors in our reporting. If we make an error, we will correct it as soon as it comes to our attention.
- We will avoid any practice that could compromise — or appear to compromise — our fairness or objectivity.
- We will not allow our personal interests to influence our news judgement or content creation. In any case where there exists a conflict of interests, Rio Grande Digital will clearly and publicly disclose those interests.
- We will clearly disclose the origins and/or creators of our content.
- We will respect the intellectual property rights of others. We will not knowingly plagiarize the work of others, but we may, from time to time, re-publish material after we receive permission to do so. We may quote the work of others under fair use provisions of the law.
- Any person making a financial or other donation to this site or anyone affiliated with this site does so with the expressed understanding such donation will not — in any way — affect current or future decisions regarding content creation or placement.
- Any person or business buying advertising on this site does so to promote a message to a mass audience with the expressed understanding that such purchase is made in exchange for good and valuable public exposure and the purchase or payment for it will not affect current or future decisions regarding content creation or placement.
- In our context as affiliates of this site, we will not accept financial renumeration or material gifts from anyone under any conditions other than those described on the “About us” page of this site. Any renumeration or gifts we might accept outside this context — whether from friends, family members or associates — will be accepted with the expressed understanding that there is no relationship between those gifts and this site.
- Anyone affiliated with this site who promises content creation or placement consideration in exchange for financial renumeration or material gifts, does so contrary to the policies of this site. We strongly urge anyone who has knowledge of such promises being made by anyone affiliated with this site to report the transgression using the “Contact us” feature in the “About us” category.
- We reserve the right to amend or alter this statement in whole or in part by giving public notice of those changes on the front page of the site.
Rio Grande Digital