Man accused of abducting girlfriend at knifepoint

Orlando Melon

Las Cruces Police Department

Las Cruces police have arrested a man suspected of abducting his girlfriend at knifepoint early Thursday morning.

Orlando Melon, 29, was charged with one count each of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon and false imprisonment. More charges are pending.

Shortly after 12:30 a.m. Thursday, Oct. 20, Las Cruces police were called to the 1900 block of Redwood Street after Melon left the 34-year-old woman’s home.

Detectives allege that the woman and her estranged husband were sitting in her vehicle on Karen Drive when Melon, the woman’s boyfriend, approached and threatened the two with a large hunting knife. Melon allegedly forced the woman’s husband from the car, and then jumped into the vehicle and ordered the woman to drive to her residence.

The woman told detectives that she tried to jump from the vehicle but was unable to do so. Melon left the woman’s home after he learned that police had been called. The woman was not physically injured.

Melon was located and detained by police a short while later as he attempted to hide on the roof of a house onMahogany Drive, police said. Melon was booked into the Doña Ana County jailwith bond set at $10,000.

Comments

comments

Powered by WordPress